Tuesday 5 December 2017

5 in 5 : The Mossy Side

I am actually going to manage to join in with Sandie's 5 in 5 on the correct day! I took my camera out with me the other day when I was walking on the edge of the quarry. I have mentioned a few times about the old quarry where red ochre was mined for colouring for bricks, tiles etc. Wherever there is mining there is waste and the old slag heap for the quarry is directly in front of the farmhouse. We refer to it as the tump and it now well covered in trees.
 I was walking along a track on the north side of this tump when I took these pictures. The ground is heavily covered in moss on many of the stones and logs. It is more obvious at this time of year when everything has died back.


It does give a contrast of colour against the brown leaves.


It almost looks soft enough to sleep on.


There is also a bit of history about with evidence of the pulley railway that ran down over the edge of the tump to bring slag up to the top. This was powered by a stationary steam engine. Little clues to its existence are still left.


The track opens out onto a field at the end with views for many miles.



3 comments:

  1. Oh that mossy area is very pretty, it makes me think of a tale I read as a child about making a bed of moss. Hope your Mum is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite photos this year was of some moss on the bricks near my cutting bed. It's really such a lovely plant, and so often overlooked. That last photo is especially wonderful--what a lovely view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I've learnt something new today - I can't remember hearing the word 'tump' before. Now I have and thanks to google, I know what it means!

    ReplyDelete