Thursday 15 March 2018

Take Three Thursday: A Special Sculpture

Each Thursday I join Mary Lou with her meme Take Three Thursday where the idea is to show three photos of something that I have observed this week.
Yesterday I had to visit the Bristol Eye Hospital for an issue with one of my eyes. The hospital is situated in central Bristol close to where I used to work at Bristol Childen's Hospital. I have consequently frequently admired the sculpture murals on the external walls of the eye hospital. Today I stopped to take some photos. There are 5 panels in total that are called The Creation and were sculptured by Walter Ritchie in 1986.
I have chosen the panel depicting the creation of all the creatures. I couldn't quite fit it in without having stepped into the road. Perhaps not a wise move when your sight is slightly blurred by eye drops that have dilated my pupils. The edges are therefore missing.


I have then chosen three details which are really self explanatory.
1.

2.

3.

The detail is remarkable and a wonderful tactile choice for an institution dealing with so many people with impaired sight. One would however have to be pretty tall to feel and touch all of the panel!


3 comments:

  1. What amazing wall; such details. In the first photo I like how all the animals fit together with their necks & tails. Cute little hedgehog. Brilliant artist.

    Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary-Lou is correct---this is really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen these so will have to look out for them. Beautifully carved detail.

    ReplyDelete